Living in comfort in the summer can be taken for granted, especially until you feel a taste of uneasiness with an air conditioner breakdown. It can occur at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and unexpectedly feel how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so toasty wrapped in your covers. Think you’re feeling this uncomfortable feeling? It might be an occasion for an air conditioner replacement.
Usually, it isn’t the thermostat’s fault; the settings can be operating correctly, but it still states that the temperature is beyond 80 degrees. It’s most often caused by an ancient or faulty air conditioner that requires a call to the professionals to find out what’s wrong. There are many reasons why air conditioners stop working, especially considering the weather in Derby. Here are a couple of things that you can examine for before you call Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning if you think your air conditioner has stopped working:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your outdoor air conditioning system that helps transport the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you inspect your system and see that the fan isn’t working, it means that the heat transfer isn’t occurring, causing the warm air to remain in your home. This problem can also initiate overheating of the compressor and other likely internal destruction to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most common issues that Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning sees. These unclean filters in your air conditioner lower proper airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really difficult when allergy season comes around. Filthy air filters can also lower the efficiency in your home and increase your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always look for an barrier or blockage in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can cause your air conditioner to lose efficiency and reduce speed.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t hidden by furniture or other home items, too.
- Outside obstructions: Proper air flow could be also slowed down from outside barriers near your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is deterred, it can influence it’s cooling capacities. Make sure that your system is uninhibited by obstacles and is cleaned routinely to reduce the likelihood of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve completed these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t working, here are a list of questions and additional checks that you should look into and answer to get your system up and working again. (Only progress to the next question if the system doesn’t turn on after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature fixed below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL position?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box whole or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things change your system operation, call Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning at 203-772-8319.
Don’t let an air conditioner breakdown or replacement keep you awake at night. If you follow these tips and keep your system under regular maintenance, you should have you air conditioner running again in no time. Our team at Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning in Derby is always here to help – give us a call at 203-772-8319.