They say knowledge is power, and that’s undoubtedly accurate when it comes to your air conditioner. While challenging repairs are best left to experts, it’s helpful to have a rudimentary understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve ordinary AC issues.
Knowing how your AC works and the typical problems it faces will allow you to handle easy problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you money on minor service calls, but realizing when to call a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into catastrophic repairs.
Your Air conditioning unit is a fundamental part of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified technician for air conditioning repair in Derby if you're unsure about any aspect of your air conditioner's operation or maintenance.
Here are a few of the typical questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning an air conditioner is a smart way to make sure it operates efficiently, and possibly could extend the life of your unit.
The most effective action you can take on your own is to replace the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter traps dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those impurities from the air circulating inside your home. If your AC filter becomes plugged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it ought to in order to move air through the filter. A clean filter catches the airborne debris while still allowing air to flow freely through the system.
Replacement filters are available at most major home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be purchased from your local HVAC specialist. A good way to make sure you get the correct filter is to look at your old one before you head out for the store, jotting down the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also a smart idea to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are trying to buy something similar.
For thorough service of your air conditioner, contact the seasoned professionals like the crew at Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning to do regular maintenance on your AC. They’ll inspect your system, clean or lubricate parts that need cleaning and look for worn-out parts and potential trouble.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to ensuring your indoor air conditioning unit is operating efficiently, it’s also a good idea to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the outdoor unit of your air conditioner is an easy way to improve its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which are attached to extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant into the outside air. This lowers the temperature of the refrigerant, which then goes back into your home so it can absorb more heat from the air in your home's interior. Washing the fins and the coils is a way to help them release heat more effectively.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, turn off power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip off the the on/off switch, as opposed to turning the thermostat off.
2) Lift off the top of the outdoor AC so you can enter the interior of the unit. Then, taking care not to pull hard on any cords or attachments, safely move the top to the side.
3) Spray a cleaning solution on the fins, first at the top and then working your way down. Commercial coil cleaners are on the market and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as products foaming solutions that are applied with your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most products, it's recommended that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a small period of time to loosen the grime and then softly spray it off with a garden hose. Take care not to spray very hard, because that could damage the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the coils and fins to dry before turning the power back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner changes depending on the type of unit, its quality, if maintained and how frequently it's used. However, pros say you should start getting ready for air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to get maximum value from your HVAC is through regular conditioner maintenance. Maintenance service from Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning includes cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as replacing the filter and mending any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating as long as it can, contact us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Derby.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Selecting the correct sized air conditioner for your home is crucial for maintaining comfort and efficiency. Here are some elements to take into account when deciding what size air conditioner to buy for your home:
- Square footage: The amount of space you need to cool is one of the key factors. Bigger spaces require more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes preserve cool air better, which can minimize your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you reside in a hotter climate, you'll require a more powerful air conditioner compared to someone living in a cooler climate.
- Number of windows: Windows can let in heat, in particular when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of occupants: More people in the house produce greater body heat, which can impact your cooling needs.
- Present HVAC system: The size and capability of your current system can provide a jumping off point for determining what you need.
Due to the fact the size of your AC is so critical to your home’s comfort, you will likely want a professional opinion. At Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning, we take the time to fully understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other variables such as your home’s design and size. This attention to detail and focus on customer service is why Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning is known for superb air conditioning installation in Derby.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices vary depending on the brand of the unit and your home’s unique requirements, a new air conditioning system generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. The good news is that new air conditioners are crafted to be exceptionally efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The cost of an air conditioner is affected by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs as well as federal regulations that can impact the design.
Know these are average costs and prices can differ. It's always smart to get numerous quotes from reliable HVAC companies before making a choice. If you’re interested in air conditioning replacement in Derby, reach out to Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning. We can provide you with a complimentary estimate, explain the plan and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
Air conditioning freezing up can be caused by a variety of factors, all of which boil down to the AC's inability to efficiently transfer heat. If your unit is experiencing issues causing it to freeze up, it is very likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some frequent reasons for AC freezing up:
- Insufficient airflow: If the air isn't flowing easily through your AC system, it can't adequately absorb heat. This could be due to a dirty air filter, something stopping air from flowing through the return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is running low on refrigerant, it could get too cold and freeze up. This is frequently a consequence of leaks in the refrigerant lines.
- Very Chilly outdoor temperatures: Operating the air conditioner when it's too cold outside can cause the system to freeze. Most units aren't designed to work in temperatures below 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Malfunctioning thermostats, damaged blower motors and problems with the relay or control board can all play a role in an AC unit freezing up.
Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning is the Respected Source for Air Conditioning Service in Derby.
At Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning, we are focusing on making your home a comfortable and soothing place. Our skilled technicians are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and work on on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us their first call for air conditioning repair in Derby and the surrounding areas.
If you’re looking to upgrade or its time for a new unit, we’ve got you covered there too, with our first-class air conditioning installation in Derby. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Phone Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning today at 203-772-8319 to schedule an appointment or free estimate!