As the temperature rises, so does your energy bills. To keep your AC costs controlled you could be asking yourself, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Derby?
It’s a widespread belief that turning your AC on and off throughout the day is inefficient. This is actually false.
Keeping your air conditioner running all the time means you’re not using it very efficiently. We recommend adjusting your thermostat higher when you’re elsewhere, and turning it back down when you get back. You can do this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat can do everything for you.
It’s considerably more work for your system to achieve the same setting for many hours. It can also result in a lot of strain on your air conditioner, since it’s frequently turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your utility bills, it can also result in a reduced life cycle for your AC.
Regardless, the greater the difference between your home’s temperature and the outside temperature, the higher your AC expenses will be. So, what can you do to stay cool and keep your electric bills low in the warm weather? Here are our tips based off of recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Ways to Increase Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Adjust Your Thermostat Usage. The DOE states that you can save up to 10% annually on heating and cooling by turning up your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re away. During the summer months, it’s recommended to keep your thermostat at 78 degrees at the time you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re away. It’s also important to avoid setting your thermostat to a lower setting than average when you turn on your air conditioner. This doesn’t actually cool your house any faster, it just leads to more expensive energy expenses. While these temperatures could seem high, there are many approaches to keep comfortable without having to consistently run the air conditioner.
- Utilize Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says raising the thermostat by only 2 degrees and utilizing your ceiling fan can lessen air conditioning costs by up to 14% throughout the warm months. It’s important to keep in mind that fans cool people, not spaces. So, when you head out of the room, turn the fan off to conserve energy. Also, keeping blinds low and curtains shut during the day helps keep chilled air inside. There are also some window coverings intended to deliver additional insulation and enhance energy efficiency.
- Adequately Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky cracks all around a residence allow for cooler air to easily escape and the heat to get within. This could result in your AC having to work harder to keep your residence cooler and your AC bills to increase. Make certain that any openings, doors and windows are adequately sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are simple mends for leaks or drafts close to windows and doors.
- Plan for Annual Checkups. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your AC is always performing at its best. This lets our experts to spot small issues before they become significant dilemmas. A well-kept air conditioner is typically more efficient and may even last for a longer period of time.
- Invest in a Smart Thermostat. One of the best methods to ensure comfort and energy savings is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat instinctively alters the temperature based on your regular schedule. It works with your smartphone to know when you’re at your house or away to optimize your efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR says that a smart thermostat could possibly save you about $180 every year on energy expenses.
- Consider Replacing Your Air Conditioning Unit. You can anticipate an adequately maintained AC to last for 15-20 years. But if you’re frequently contacting us for air conditioning repair or your energy expenses are climbing with no fluctuations in thermostat settings, it might be time for a replacement. We offer many energy-efficient air conditioners, including ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without bargaining comfort.
Increase Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning
No one enjoys seeing their utility bill increase during the summer. If you’re in search of more ways to keep your energy use and expenses low this summer, our team can help. Get in touch with us at 203-772-8319 or contact us online today for extra info.