Spring is in the air here in Derby and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning team has some helpful advice that will assist in keeping your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home look as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to sync up with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your amazing sabbatical on social media, but try to wait until after you make it home to post anything about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to conserve energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning in Derby a call at 203-772-8319.