Summer weather in Derby can be rough. But you don’t have to choose between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility bills. We’ve put together some tips to make it simple.
The best thing you can do to stay comfy and sustain energy efficiency is by tending to your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® recommends keeping your system running reliably and efficiently, and Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning is able to assist. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll perform the following tasks recommended by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to ensure safe operation of your system and the opportunity of a longer lifecycle for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as required. Dirty coils require your system to operate longer to do its job.
- Check system controls to be sure of proper and safe operation.
- Inspect refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to assure accurate system airflow.
Another critical piece to keeping cool is regularly looking at your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can raise energy expenses and damage your equipment, leading to premature failure. Our Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning pros will look at these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to take a look at the manufacturer’s recommendations to make your own schedule to switch them out.
Here are some other tips to keep your home comfy and energy-efficient:
- Look at thermostat settings to be sure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are not around.
- If it’s cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the crisp air cool your place for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to hold on to the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Utilize fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a bit higher than you normally would without noticing any changes in your comfort level.
- Another type of fan people seem to forget about when they’re attempting to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to remove the heat and humidity from your house.
- Avoid leaving lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven are adding heat into your home, but even everyday activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can boost the heat in your home.
If you’d like additional ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning at call at 203-772-8319 or request an appointment with us online.