Whenever your gas furnace is running, carbon monoxide is being produced. However, there is no reason to worry. It is a natural result of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is working properly, it is carefully deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is stored inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely forced through the flue vent to the outside. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a result of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Breathing in too much carbon monoxide blocks the body from using oxygen and can hurt the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can affect anyone exposed to the gas, it is especially risky for people with existing lung or heart problems, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and maintain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s nearly impossible to perceive carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home. You may not be aware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Put carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by professionals, you should have it looked at. The experts at Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning can make sure your blower motor is installed correctly and that everything looks correct in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can collect if there are problems in those areas.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Regular maintenance is the best action to take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly tune-up, the experts will clean your system and inspect it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a great idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally checked as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A blockage of airflow caused by a spoiled filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to frequently check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s recommendation.
5. Always depend on professionals to fix your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few precautions. You’ll always have the pros at Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning in Derby just around the corner to help, too. Give us a call at 203-772-8319 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.