According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have pests or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to ask Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning in Derby about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the experts at Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning. A regular evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Checking your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clean.
Additional ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and put in new filters when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Derby home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Giordanos Heating and Air Conditioning at 203-772-8319 or schedule an appointment online.